A little produce from the garden!! :)

Friday, April 8, 2011

Quilting Made Easy....Trash To Treasure :D

If you have a sewing machine....can cut and sew a straight line....you can quilt! I am going to take you step by step on a journey into quilting. It is a very inexpensive but a very useful rewarding hobby. In today's economic times everyone is looking for ways to save money. These quilts cost next to nothing, are one hundred percent better quality than store bought quilts. In addition they make great birthday or Christmas presents. Saving you tons of money and creating keepsake items to be passed down from generation to generation.

Where and What to buy

The first step is to discuss material. I have spent years collecting material. I don't really consider anything except basic quality and price. I go to Wal-Mart and dig through the mark down isles and look for patterns and solids that appeal to me. You don't want material that you can A) see though B) is very thick and would be hard to work with. I generally get a minimum of 2 yards of anything I buy. But realistically you can work with less than that. I have also gone to garage sales and found some great deals on materials. I have found great deals at estate sales. The more you save the better. The more variety you have the better. I also bought some of the cheap book cases at Wal-Mart to organize my material by season and color for easy reference.
I keep my eyes open for thread that goes on sale. I buy as many variety of colors they offer and never less than two spools of each. Stock up on basic colors such as Black, White and earth tones. I seldom get the cheapest but don't get the most expensive....you want it to hold up but save as much money as you can. Batting is the cotton that goes in the middle. You don't want the real thick stuff..too bulky and hard to work with. I usually use about 1/2-1 inch. I recommend two pairs of scissors.....and a scissor sharpener. You will need em. You will need quilting pins....they are longer and better straight pins...and a ton of safety pins. You will need a "roller cutter" to cut your material with. Hard, Plexiglas type patterns are necessary, so is a cutting board. Collect all these items before you begin. You "can" use a regular sewing machine...I always have...if you have a quilting sewing machine even better.
After you collect all of these things organize your sewing area. You will save tons of time, frustration and energy if you do. You can get just about any type of storage totes etc you can think of at Wal-Mart or a store that specialized in organization items. Once you get everything you need, organize it....we can begin sewing!! I will do at least one post a week reguarding this. So come back often and "LETS SEW" !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment